> Actually, the high speed digital testers employed by the memory
> manufacturers FULLY test memory modules over their rated speed
> and voltage ranges. Usually any problems that occur after the
> module leaves the factory are due to handling, installation or
> motherboard related issues (timing, voltage, noise, etc.) Memory
> chips themselves are 100% parametrically tested after they are
> packaged since the manufacturer is in the business of selling
> specified, functional chips.

Yes, but that's not the same as when they are on the motherboard.  All kinds
of variables come into play:  the memory chip timing, the front-side bus
(chipset) timing margins, how well the impedances are matched and
terminated, the supply voltage stability, how well the memory bus is
shielded from interference from other sources, etc.  Cheap PC motherboards
have been known to exhibit problems before.  I seem to recall some years ago
during the tantalum and ceramic capacitor shortage that some cheap
motherboards cut down on the recommended bypass caps.  The result is that
the PC would work for about 3-6 months and then start flaking out, as the
caps dried out.  Then there were the reports of some Cyrix-based
motherboards burning a hole in the PCB because of inadequate cooling at high
clock speeds.

Your (original poster) problem may not be memory.  But I thought it might be
a possibility.  As a hardware designer, I have to debug my own and other's
designs.  It's like a Sherlock Holmes mystery to be solved sometimes.  "When
you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must
be the culprit" (paraphrased).  I have always been able to find the causes
of problems using this philosophy.  Well, causes of electronics problems
anyway.  The world's problems still elude me ;-)

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com