Matt Pobursky wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:44:15 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> >Sure, the memory bus is pretty well characterized, but all
> >memory chips
> >come off a line where they are tested, and some percentage of
> >them have
> >bad rows and columns.  The memory testing is not really
> >rigorous, although
> >most makers retest the 'stick' after placing the cips on it.
>
> Actually, the high speed digital testers employed by the memory
> manufacturers FULLY test memory modules over their rated speed
> and voltage ranges. Usually any problems that occur after the
> module leaves the factory are due to handling, installation or
> motherboard related issues (timing, voltage, noise, etc.) Memory
> chips themselves are 100% parametrically tested after they are
> packaged since the manufacturer is in the business of selling
> specified, functional chips.

Not to continue this off-topic thread too far, but they only test the
memory chips for a few seconds in each condition (hot, cold, etc.)
and with the number of bits in a chip, it has to be a cursory test.
The noise conditions present on the chips after they are mounted
on the SEMM/DEMM module may not be ideal in all systems,
either.

> At any rate... if anyone is interested in FULLY testing your
> system memory, you can get a great FREE memory test program at:
>
> http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/
>
> It will exercise all your memory, CPU cache memory, etc. If
> there's a memory bug, it will almost certainly find it. An
> invaluable tool for evaluating your hardware setup.

Thanks much for the link, I will try it out.  I have another
test program that doesn't seem to detect any problems on
some suspect machines that crash way too much.

Jon