Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 11/19/01 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> >In PCB, you have much more flexibility, as you can change an individual
> >pad, hole or whatever on a component.  You can't MOVE a pad or
> >hole with reference to the part, however.
>
> While I generally agree with most everything Mr. Elson wrote, this
> particular piece of information is incorrect.
>
> First of all, you can edit the position of any component primitive to a new
> location, or you can pick it up with the mouse and move it. All you need to
> do is to turn off primitive lock in the component edit screen. With lock
> off, you can also delete primitives. Perhaps you might want to modify a
> component legend outline to fit a reference designator in.

Ahh, there's a good reason to do it!  Thanks, I couldn't think of one earlier!

> Natually, it is advised to keep primitives locked except when you really
> want to work on them. Further, if you ever update the PCB from the library
> containing the footprint in question, it will return the part to its
> original state. So it might be safer to create a modified footprint in a
> special library (you don't need to keep it, just make sure that the name is
> unique).

Absolutely right.  I've never had to do this, for pretty clear reasons, and
I WAS aware it could be done.  Its one of those things you shouldn't do
in the general case, and so I must have purged it from my memory!

Thanks,

Jon