At 03:35 PM 11/19/01 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>In PCB, you have much more flexibility, as you can change an individual
>pad, hole or whatever on a component.  You can't MOVE a pad or
>hole with reference to the part, however.

While I generally agree with most everything Mr. Elson wrote, this
particular piece of information is incorrect.

First of all, you can edit the position of any component primitive to a new
location, or you can pick it up with the mouse and move it. All you need to
do is to turn off primitive lock in the component edit screen. With lock
off, you can also delete primitives. Perhaps you might want to modify a
component legend outline to fit a reference designator in.

Natually, it is advised to keep primitives locked except when you really
want to work on them. Further, if you ever update the PCB from the library
containing the footprint in question, it will return the part to its
original state. So it might be safer to create a modified footprint in a
special library (you don't need to keep it, just make sure that the name is
unique).

You can also add primitives with the new tool under Tools/Change.

You can also edit even locked component pads in the spreadsheet.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA