On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Bob Wolfe wrote:

> Steve, Your source for danger??? Just a question how it was determined
> it was really dual proc that causes Matrox dual head problems.

All I can offer are some datapoints, since I never got a solution.

I've had 4 twin-CPU machines, from P-90 under NT3.51 (I think, it was a
while back) to my current P3 under Win2K, and Matrox cards from Millennium
to various G400s. The machines have been variously unstable - crashes
after various times, from minutes to hours.  For all machines, running
them as single-CPU from the BIOS, or using other video cards, they'll run
for weeks. The crashes can be subtle, like random redraw defects and icons
getting confused (along with genrally weird behaviour), or glaring, like
instant machine lockups.
The problem is, while Matrox do make my favourite video cards - the best
DACs, and nice tweakable resolutions, I've got work to do, and I can't
spend weeks chasing bugs, or rebooting 5 times a day. A later mail
suggests that I ditch the twin-cpu boxes, and get a separate box for
Specctra - This is on my shopping list - as you say, PCs are now insanely
cheap, but, since the only real justification for this is that I get
sharper pixels on my main machine, it's got to wait behind 'real' work,
since my currnet solution does get the job done.

Steve