Bob Wolfe wrote:

> Abdulrahman wrote
> "The update schematic function works, that is, it updates *symbols*. It does
> not update the chosen footprint.
>
> In this case, I think it better to simply leave the schematic alone and,
> instead, create a PCB library with footprint names matching those coming in
> from OrCAD. If those names are in error, then you will supply corrected
> names to your client to be used in the future...."
>
> This one I would have to argue with you on.
> An update of any symbol should update ALL of the data contained within that
> symbol that was changed. Footprint name is contained within that symbol. If
> footprint name or whatever is contained in that symbol that data should pass
> to the schematic, ...

Well, I (and probably many other Protel users) will argue back.

The footprint names you enter when making the schematic symbol _are_
_not_ the only legal footprints for that part - they are just possible
footprints that will appear on a drop-down list for easy selection.  It
is perfectly permissible to use some other footprint in place of the
pre-defined ones, so I would _not_ want Protel to automagically change
footprints on already-placed parts if I happen to revise the schematic
symbol.

I suppose that if the footprints listed in the schematic symbol were the
only legal choices, you may have a point here, but since they aren't, I
don't believe you do.

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF