Peter,
Sorry but I guess you missed earlier parts of this thread.
I believe I agree with you about footprints already placed in a design.
I really don't want the system to pull up an existing footprint that is
already
on the board, in fact that was one of my complaints, the fact is that this
software DOES
remove any footprint that is NOT the first one on the list in the symbol
from the board when doing a footprint update in synchronizer, also even if
it was one that is listed in the symbol as a footprint that could be used
for the part.
What I do really want though is on the schematic side. All I want is for the
update schematic
function to actually put the footprint name defined in the symbol that is in
my master library into the schematic symbol and actually use that footprint
on a new design. As it works now if there is a symbol in the schematic with
anything in the footprint field, if you update schematic any new footprint
will not be used, that foot print stays there. Then once it is in that
design of course I don't want any automatic function removing or changing it
unless I really need to change that particular footprint either by an all
footprint update with synchronizer or individual update using PCB Update
from library, or just putting any other footprint you want in there.
I just think a little more control needs to be added to the update
capability. I just have a problem with
the fact that I ran a function that supposedly should update a symbol in a
schematic with data from
a symbol in the library. I see that doing things on the fly in the PCB like
changing a footprint then updating schematic from that source, your saying
you would not want a library update to a symbol in the schematic to change
that footprint on you. I just think the way the system does update you will
have a problem with this. I would think there could easily be a choice here
to either append or replece data in a symbol during update. That could keep
everybody happy no matter where the source of
the update comes from.
Thanks,  just another viewpoint.
Bob

Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.