Something else to consider/play with:

I have been using a defragger called PerfectDisk which allows one to control
the order of files on the drive in several ways, including consolidation of
the page file.  If after building a well established environment of work,
one repacks with the least recently used files first and most recently used
last, followed by the swap file (which I have at a fixed size), you tend to
wind up working with the swap file always relatively close to the work files
and performance is noticeably better.  On the other hand, my 768 MB of ram
helps a lot tooo. :o)

Their demo lasts for 30 days by the way, long enough to establish a good
configuration.

regards,
Tim Hutcheson