At 10:23 PM 1/23/2002 -0500, Mike Reagan wrote:
>Can the basic algorithm be improved
>on? The answer is no.

I wouldn't bet on that....

[...]

>For example  Take a backplane with three  3 row connectors pins 1 -96 of J1
>connected to same pins of J2 and J3.   No router in the world can route
>three connectors, straight,  on the least amount of layers, using no vias.

Actually, this is not exactly true. The "memory" pass of quite a few
routers will route this correctly, single layer. Where they fall down is if
you offset the connectors or some other previously routed connection
interrupts the pattern at the beginning. Yes, they are not really
recognizing patterns, as we generally do. Humans are actually pretty good
at this, it may be quite some time before the machines catch up.
Nevertheless, routing pattern recognition is the obvious direction for
routing technology to go.

On the other hand, much simpler, we'd like some fairly simple cleanup
routines. There are places where the router could be vastly improved
without major advances in artificial intelligence, and getting rid of those
meanders approaching off-grid pads is one place where this is the case.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA