Steve Wiseman wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Jon Elson wrote:
> > You should open a new PCB file, and import the gerbers to it.  Then, take a
> > look
> > at the pads in question.
>
> Just done it - and no, no pads. It's definitely a problem within Protel,
> (but easier to visualise in a gerber viewer which can display pads &
> tracks in different colours).
>
> > If so, it may be easier to get Altium to take a look at the problem,
> > too - if it can be demonstrated all within Protel.
>
> Hmm. I don't even know who to report bugs to at Protel / Altium, or if
> it's worth the effort.

I think there is a report bugs email address or link on their web site.
As for whether it is worth it, I just don't know.  Exotic bugs that are really
hard to reproduce don't seem to get much attention.  Straightforward, easy
to reproduce bugs that cause the gerbers to not match the screen in a
severe way SHOULD get attention there, but I don't know.  My experience
has been pretty much the same.

> > I have been using this technique to check Protel output, and haven't had
> > a problem that wen't undetected by Protel.  (Except for the giant aperture
> > definitions in 274X, which my PCB vendor can't handle.)
>
> I'm not sure if you import & check your gerbers, looking for features that
> have been rendered wrongly... It's not something I'm prepared to do. (this
> board reports as 20,000 tracks, 4019 pads, and I'm looking for a defect 8
> thou by 6 - it's quicker to have it etched & assembled than to go through
> looking for weird problems)

Well, I DO check them this way.  I certainly DON'T check EVERY track
and pad, just look for wierd stuff, like 1" square pads or tracks that don't end

on a pad (good guess there is SUPPOSED to be a pad there, and it was not
in the aperture list).

Jon