On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Jon Elson wrote:
> You should open a new PCB file, and import the gerbers to it.  Then, take a
> look
> at the pads in question.

Just done it - and no, no pads. It's definitely a problem within Protel,
(but easier to visualise in a gerber viewer which can display pads &
tracks in different colours).

> If so, it may be easier to get Altium to take a look at the problem,
> too - if it can be demonstrated all within Protel.

Hmm. I don't even know who to report bugs to at Protel / Altium, or if
it's worth the effort.

> I have been using this technique to check Protel output, and haven't had
> a problem that wen't undetected by Protel.  (Except for the giant aperture
> definitions in 274X, which my PCB vendor can't handle.)

I'm not sure if you import & check your gerbers, looking for features that
have been rendered wrongly... It's not something I'm prepared to do. (this
board reports as 20,000 tracks, 4019 pads, and I'm looking for a defect 8
thou by 6 - it's quicker to have it etched & assembled than to go through
looking for weird problems)

(I may also chase the "generate software arcs gives straight lines" issue,
which caught me out a while back - the PCB shop swore blind I had
thousands of sub-thou gaps - oddly all where teardropping had placed
arcs... I just turned off "use software arcs" and all was well, so I let
it slip. I'm really not a good software tester...)

Steve