From: Brad Velander [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 9:48 AM
To: 'Protel EDA Forum'
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Re[3]: View PCB 3D

Hi Lloyd,
        your comments are very true for the Desktop-EDA package. However I
think some of the points expressed were misunderstood. The 'Protel' "viewer"
is a toy with virtually no useful purpose. Protel needs to align themselves
with the industry and develop a true 3D mechanical interface (sorry forget
the acronym) rather then a "viewer". The Protel viewer is useless,
absolutely useless. Would ACAD, Solidworks or any other get away with a
pretty viewer in their products, no you need output suitably formatted for
inclusion in the next level of development tools? Showing a pretty picture
(even one with user defined models) serves no measurable useful purpose.
This is what I think some of the other posters have been trying to say. The
Qual-ECAD or Desktop-EDA tools are a proper path for 3D development, not a
simple Protel viewer.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth 323 at Satellite 2002 in Washington, DC March 6-8.