It's your system. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it works fine here
and has worked fine for a long time. I just tried it. If I place a free pad
on a poly, it acquires the netname of the poly. If I then change the name to
"No Net", a pile of DRC green shows up and if I repour the poly, it is now
disconnected. Maybe something is crazy with your installation. (which is
another topic)