At 04:54 PM 2/13/2002 -0500, Bob Jones wrote:
>Here's the problem:
>2 identical computers, Compaq 500 Mhz, bought at the same time, same
>place, 2 years ago.
>computer 1 has 440 MB Ram , 2650 virtual memory free, recently defragged
>and software newly loaded.
>computer 2 has 216 MB Ram, 850  virtual memory free.

Unstated is operating system, which could be important. Also video card
might be an issue. Compaq ... video *might* indeed be a problem.

>Now the problem:
>On computer 2, I move text for an 0805 and it takes 3 seconds to get mouse
>back.
>On computer 1 ,I move same text it takes 8 seconds
>when I do this for a 28 pin SOP it takes computer 2 - 4 seconds and
>computer 1 - ready for this - 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
>Needless to say this is totally unacceptable to do silkscreen on a whole
>design. I've checked everything I can think of. All the preferences are
>the same, the database is the same one for both.
>Other programs seem to operate the same between both machines, so it seems
>to be Protel related. I don't have anything running like virus checking or
>programs to slow things down.

I don't have a solution, just a note that this is not normal behavior,
unless the database is *large*. 8 seconds is long, never mind 2 minutes.

The obvious solution would be to try to look at the database and try to
move this stuff on another, completely different system. I'm willing, and
I'll sign an NDA if requested, but I would not pass the files on without
permission in any case. Perhaps Mr. Jones would like to drive up to
Easthampton! I'm less than 70 miles from Prospect, CT. (But it would
obviously be easier to email me the file). Large databases should have
unnecessary files removed, including plot files (but not plot setups except
perhaps in this case, since I wouldn't need them to test display refresh,
and I also wouldn't need schematics and all the comments could be deleted,
which just about wipes out all IP), and the recycle bin should be emptied
and the file compacted with the utility on the Client menu (down-arrow in
the top left). And then the file can be zipped.....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA