Are you absolutely, 100% sure that the two Protel instances are running the
exact same PCB files with the exact same design rules?  If online DRC is
active, there will be a difference in execution time if the rules are
different.  There will also be a difference in execution time if one file
has more nets than the other, or if the PCB file size is greater in one
than the other, etc, etc.

At 04:54 PM 2/13/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's the problem:
>2 identical computers, Compaq 500 Mhz, bought at the same time, same
>place, 2 years ago.
>computer 1 has 440 MB Ram , 2650 virtual memory free, recently defragged
>and software newly loaded.
>computer 2 has 216 MB Ram, 850  virtual memory free.
>Now the problem:
>On computer 2, I move text for an 0805 and it takes 3 seconds to get mouse
>back.
>On computer 1 ,I move same text it takes 8 seconds
>when I do this for a 28 pin SOP it takes computer 2 - 4 seconds and
>computer 1 - ready for this - 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
>Needless to say this is totally unacceptable to do silkscreen on a whole
>design. I've checked everything I can think of. All the preferences are
>the same, the database is the same one for both.
>Other programs seem to operate the same between both machines, so it seems
>to be Protel related. I don't have anything running like virus checking or
>programs to slow things down.
>Any help please!!
snip