BOB WROTE

On computer 2, I move text for an 0805 and it takes 3 seconds to get mouse
back.
On computer 1 ,I move same text it takes 8 seconds
when I do this for a 28 pin SOP it takes computer 2 - 4 seconds and computer
1 - ready for this - 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
Needless to say this is totally unacceptable to do silkscreen on a whole
design. I've checked everything I can think of. All the preferences are the
same, the database is

Bob,

Easier method  to move silkscreen.  1. turn off your DRC so the  computer
isn't performing a calculation every time you move text.  2.  double click
on the component, and globally set as many ref designators to one position
and orientation  using position selections like CENTER, LEFT CENTER, BELOW,
etc.   Thank you Protel programmers for adding this ,   it has saved
countless hours on every design I generate.

I position silkscreen as the last function I perform on  design.  I watch
designers all the time trying to design around or trying to accommodate
silkscreen.   Silkscreen is the  LSB (least significant board attribute)
of design.   I know some techs and engineers have fits with this but I wont
compromise a component location for text.   I too use a Compaq 500 Mhz ( it
aint state of the art, and I would never buy another one) but I run thru  a
700 component board in few hours .....after I turn the DRC off first.    I
don't know the differences between your machines or what hidden option is
really selected/ deselected , but try it with the DRC off. Its lickity split
quick.

Mike Reagan
EDSI