1] i never had a problem with the MS wheel mouse on 3 different (albeit
similar) boxes
(at least not any problem of which i am specifically aware)

2] i have had only one crash that i recall since going to Win2K
(i was drawing a selection box on a large area of 'empty' workspace
trying to find an invisible entity)
maybe your problems are Dell?
i never really trusted 'name' brand boxes, they seem to put in the
cheapest stuff and proprietary configurations to lock you in compared to
'white box' systems
i certainly have had crashes using Win98 but mostly attributable to
resource drain

i have seen customized shortcut keys stop working, but not too often at
all lately and they seem to come back

3] can you please describe exactly how Orcad Dos schem is so superior
(are you referring to 3.0 SDT ?)
i am reasonably happy with protel schem, although there is clearly room
for improvement
i have Orcad Capture 9.x and it is ok, but prefer to use protel schem

4] if protel is severely overpriced then i imagine that competition will
step up to the plate so possibly this situation will self correct

off this topic but maybe long term relavent ...
anybody want to speculate whether Phoenix will be built on Delphi or
it's descendent?

Dennis Saputelli