From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 9:05 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Using Client Spreadsheets to update schematics

We have a related problem. BoMs loaded into Excel always strip leading
zeroes.
I'm afraid we cheat, and don't have 0402, 0603 0805 etc. as footprints, but
instead append the name of our company e.g. ART_0805. Our libraries match
with
this.

AAMOI - I think sticking with 0805, 0603, 0402 for footprint names is a bit
bush league because there is no such thing as an 0805 footprint. Our
footprints
vary slowly over time following the advice of our board manufacturer(s) and
assembly house(s). We take the manufacturer's footprint as advice only,
albeit
good advice. ART_0805 immediately tells me this footprint has had some
attention paid to solder expansion, silkscreen definition and pad size. 0805

doesn't, and could have come from some old default Protel library. AFAICR
0805
as a footprint varies between manufacturers, even if the component size
doesn't.

Andrew Ircha
ART