Jason,
I did not follow this one from the very beginning but,
I would also 100% agree that bringing a gerber file back into your
CAD system for any reason other than to use it to reproduce
a board you have no CAD data for, or copy sections into an
existing board etc. is not good. I would NOT recommend it as a means of
verifying gerber data for fabrication. Way back Cadnetix offered
gerber import as the only means of checking gerbers too, but this was really
not an accurate way to do this you really need to view them in another
piece of sofware, which we did. Cadnetix also offered a smart gerber input
for just the purpose of bringing a gerber only design into the CAD system.
In all the cases I have seen like here with Protel bringing the gerber file
into the CAD system usually relies on settings or pad data inherent from the
CAD system. In the case of Cadnetix you were merely importing the pads
from your own library to view up the gerber, an dbeliev me that is not
checking any gerber data, it merely means you had a pad in the library
with the proper name. In this case it seems its a problem with the way the
CAD system handles vias. In any case use a separate viewer or CAM software
to do this function.
Bob
Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.