Jason,
        if you haven't caught on to your problem yet, I think that one of
the other posters hit the nail on the head. There may be nothing wrong with
your original Gerber files, the problem may have arose when you imported
them back into Protel.
        Importing Gerber back into Protel is something that I do not do, I
want independent confirmation that the Gerbers are correctly generated. So
if I don't do this explanation justice, bear with me and try to understand
the concept I am pointing out.
        I believe that when you import Gerbers back into Protel then most of
the imported pads are treated as free-pads upon importation. This new
free-pad is not a via any longer (if it was a via pad to start with), now it
is interpreted as a free pad and as such it will show a solderpaste mask
opening in the database which you have imported it into. Remember that your
imported Gerber is now a new Protel primitive and thus it may behave like
any other primitive and may not truly represent the former Gerber element
that you thought you imported.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth 323 at Satellite 2002 in Washington, DC March 6-8.