At 12:25 PM 2/20/2002 -0800, Dwight wrote:
>A related discussion reminded me of this -- a very annoying "feature" of
>autosave is that it saves all open documents, whether or not they've been
>changed.  So although you can set it to keep multiple backups, if you leave
>your design open while doing something else, you may find you have several
>identical autosaved copies of all your open documents.  It even autosaves
>docs opened read-only!  This (a) reduces the usefulness of autosave; (b)
>lengthens the time of each autosave, which (c) increases the disruption of
>one's work/concentration.

Yes, points well made. There is obviously a flag which is set whenever a
file is edited. Files which have not been edited should not be autosaved.
Perhaps we will see this in Phoenix, it certainly would be a simple change.

I hadn't looked at backup files for quite a while; they now preserve the
original extensions, the dot is changed to an underscore, and then the
backup number is added. I would add one thing: I would create backup
*folders* that were unique to the ddb from which they were made, and a
control file would be created that would turn the backups into a .ddb using
the Windows File System. This would make it much easier to recover from
loss of the original .ddb. As it is now, everything is under the individual
file names, all projects jumbled together.... but definitely better than
nothing.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA