> Ian Wilson wrote:
> > real reasons why correct inversion would be useful, another would be to
> > facilitate panelisation where alternate rows of boards are flipped - to
> > minimise machine setup.  Leaving this to a PCB maker can be a source of
> > error.  Doing it in Camtastic is my preferred option but some companies
> > work for like to have the panel in Protel for whatever reason.
>
> i've seen those panels with some boards flipped and never understood, in
> fact i still don't
> can you pls explain what this offers?
>
> Dennis Saputelli

That was covered in late 2000 (on this forum). A panel of PCBs in which
every second unit PCB is inverted permits a "print and turn" type of
manufacture, in which the *same* filmwork and (Solder Paste) stencil can be
used for *both* sides of the panellised PCB, thus saving, to some extent, on
PCB setup costs.

There are some requirements to comply with. The panel must contain an even
number of unit PCBs, and the sequence of copper layers (within the unit PCB)
must be symmetrical in nature. When producing a panellised PCB with Protel,
extra care would customarily be required when the unit PCBs use Power Plane
layers. But in some situations, some savings in costs can still be achieved.

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer