Jon Elson wrote:

> Amazing!  The Mentor stuff I've seen is NOT very intuitive.  We are using it
> on Sun workstations (also HP) for an IC design.

This is not the same product.

Be aware that Mentor had and still sells its own Unix based PCB design application
called Board Architect.  This is completely different than the Expedition PCB
application that they bought from Veribest.  Expedition PCB is a Windows
NT/2000/XP-only application that was intially developed at Intergraph and later
spun off as an independent company called Veribest.  Mentor bought out Veribest
(circa 2000) when Cadence decided to stop offering its Spectra autorouter as an
OEM addition to its competitors.

Expedition PCB has routinely won the competitions at the PCB conferences and, in
the right hands, is extremely powerful.  It especially excels in its interactive
routing capabilities (a marvel to behold!).  It does, however, have a much steeper
learning curve than Protel and is a bit more oriented toward larger corporate use
-- especially with its central library (database) functionality. Many of the
Protel wishlist items expressed in this forum have been available in Expedition
PCB from the very beginning.  You can get a free trial CD from Mentor to get some
ideas on where Protel might/should be headed.

John Williams