John Williams wrote:

> Jon Elson wrote:
>
> > Amazing!  The Mentor stuff I've seen is NOT very intuitive.  We are using it
> > on Sun workstations (also HP) for an IC design.
>
> This is not the same product.
>
> Be aware that Mentor had and still sells its own Unix based PCB design application
> called Board Architect.

Yup, that must be a part of Design Architect, which is what we have.

>  This is completely different than the Expedition PCB
> application that they bought from Veribest.  Expedition PCB is a Windows
> NT/2000/XP-only application that was intially developed at Intergraph and later
> spun off as an independent company called Veribest.  Mentor bought out Veribest
> (circa 2000) when Cadence decided to stop offering its Spectra autorouter as an
> OEM addition to its competitors.

Well, glad to see that Mentor has something easier to use, because Design
Architect looks like something that was ported from the IBM 360 and punch card
days!  Nobody can use the menus, because it is humanly impossible to remember
where anything is in such a complex hierarchy.  So, everybody uses the 2-character
shortcut keys, but they can only remember a few of them.  What a MESS!  This may
be a better fit for IC design, however, where things ARE a bit more complicated,
with 30+ layers, intricate design rules, etc.

Jon