At 02:11 PM 4/18/2002 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
>Abd ulRahman Lomax wrote:
>
> > At 05:33 PM 4/17/2002 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> > >BUT, this applies ONLY to PCB, not schematic.  ... I still don't know
> > >of a way to do it
> >
> > Tango Schematic can be read by Accel PCAD schematic (since that is the
> > descendant program) and PCAD schematic is convertible to Protel Schematic
> > through the PCAD-Protel translator available from Protel.
>
>So, we have to buy PCAD just to translate from one format to the other?
>That is not really sensible.

Sheesh... Do you really expect Protel to be able to load every obsolete format?

It is possible that buying just PCAD Schematic, while expensive -- if just
being used for translation -- would still be less expensive than an RSI
translator.

>   Yes, if we already HAD PCAD, that would be
>different.

Of course. But some of us already have PCAD. If you were taking about one
schematic, it is likely one of us would do it for free. If it is many
schematics, and especially if there needs to be some tinkering, it would
still cost, I am sure, much less than buying PCAD Schematic. We (Lomax
Design Associates) could do it, and there are others.

>We went from Accel Tango to Protel in 2 steps.  First, we went to Protel
>Schematic, because Protel almost gave it to us, free.  Then, we changed to
>Protel for PCB, because Tango "broke down" in the middle of the largest
>project
>up to that point.  We had to take a partially completed PC board from Tango,
>import to Protel and finish it in Protel.

I considered writing a Tango - Protel schematic translator and actually got
fairly far down the road. But it isn't necessary, given the PCAD route.