I recently had a look into the subject of FPGA and Protel.
I was told the FPGA router is still taken from the manufacturer
(in your case XILINX).

Meaning you're just using Protel to draw the schematics and
send the netlist to the other tool doing the FPGA. These
tools from various manufacturers are free available on the net.

Since the programming interface is also in that manufacturer
tool, I tend to fail recognizing the advantage of having Protel
drawing the schematic.

One advantage of not having the FPGA in protel is :
The FPGA is a chip with pins and its internal is hidden.
This allows the FPGA, in the EEPROM-type case to act as copy
protection.

Further, you won't have the library of functions that the XILINX
tool offers.

I admittedly never tried the FPGA feature of Protel.

Rene

* Tracking #: F1F7B1EF0462EB4F808DFB51FEE10A74C1861F3F