One reason to get the drawing in Protel and then export it to the Xilinx
tools is that the schematic editor of Xilinx is not, how shall I put it,
particularly convenient. I myself have done some designs in it while the
rest of the board was done in Protel. This got me out of my hum on more
than one occasion.
I did attempt to write a server for Protel99SE that created the netlist,
however this proved to be cumbersome as the netlists of the individual
primitives needed to be included in the main netlist too. Can be done, but
I never finished it.

As to all functions offered by Xilinx; their tools are reasonably
documented and can be executed from either from within such a server, or
just seperately and then have an external netlist (the Protel one) as input
to the tools.

Presently I also use Atmel FPGAs for which I did write a server to create
EDIF netlists as well as manage the 'user macros' and be a interface toward
the Atmel FPGA tools.
The advantage for me is that I can use Protel (with which I am familiar) so
I can concentrate on the design, not the tools.

Just my two pennies.
Greetings,
Jan Martin Wagenaar