From: Michael Reagan (EDSI) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 6:33 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Copper pours on outer layers

Question to smartest of smartest designers out there:

Here is the delima,   we have a board appox 24 x 30  ( a very large
backplane) , many thousands of connections, every layer controlled
impedance.  The boards are used for high speed  tele comminications
switching and data monitoring.  ( No the the tele com industry is not
dead).
The designs are as many as 28 layers, some approching .250 inch in
thickness,  a very expensive baord to design and manufacture.

On the outer layers we avoid placing traces, since we embed the entire
design,  The outer layer are  copper pours tied to gnd  to reduce EMI
and to
maintain controlled Z on the next inner layer.  The copper is poured on
both
the  top and bottom layers.

Copper pours of this size are poured last because they are time
consuming.
The pours can take 4 hours, and even longer if they are not right the
first
time.  Question to any of the best out there.....can we avoid a copper
pour
and merge a gnd layer to the top?  Does anyone have a method or
suggestion
to merge copper to flood the top layer.     Is there a quicker method?
We
are using 99SE on aa 1 gig cpu with 512 meg.

Mike Reagan
EDSI

* Tracking #: C05FC4455FDD074E8E0D19C321C392CAC217810D