"Michael Reagan (EDSI)" wrote:

> Peter and All
>
> > If an internal ground plane has an appropriate copper pattern for the
> > outer layers, just tell the board shop to use that artwork for both the
> > inner layer and outer layer - just because Protel thinks the *.gtl file
> > is the top layer, doesn't mean you _must_ use that as the top layer.
> >
> > (Or if one of the existing planes isn't suitable, make another one that
> > is!)
>
> Peter   have you actually done it   I think this is the answer I am looking
> for
>
> Mike

I'm not sure now if I have used a plane layer on the outside of a board,
but I have used a single ground plane plot for two physicial layers in a
board.

As others have mentioned (and I didn't think of, at the time), a ground
plane won't have any pads around the holes, so it might not be a good
idea to use one on the surface of the board.

* Tracking #: 2257EAB63D835E45B29F432319B4FF0452F2A00E
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada
GPS and NMEA info and programs:
http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html