"Michael Reagan (EDSI)" wrote:

> Question to smartest of smartest designers out there:

Not sure if I qualify  :-)

<snip>
> Copper pours of this size are poured last because they are time consuming.
> The pours can take 4 hours, and even longer if they are not right the first
> time.  Question to any of the best out there.....can we avoid a copper pour
> and merge a gnd layer to the top?  Does anyone have a method or suggestion
> to merge copper to flood the top layer.     Is there a quicker method?   We
> are using 99SE on aa 1 gig cpu with 512 meg.
>
> Mike Reagan
> EDSI

If an internal ground plane has an appropriate copper pattern for the
outer layers, just tell the board shop to use that artwork for both the
inner layer and outer layer - just because Protel thinks the *.gtl file
is the top layer, doesn't mean you _must_ use that as the top layer.

(Or if one of the existing planes isn't suitable, make another one that
is!)

* Tracking #: 02B75B177BAC5F4E9CAA58158C227486F226FF99
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada
GPS and NMEA info and programs:
http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html