Here is one way. It's not the quickest, but it will get you thinking about
ways to do things.

Click on a designator to highlight it.
Right click and choose 'Find Similar Objects'
Choose: String Type Designator Same (make sure Select Matching checkbox is
checked)
Click Apply.
Now you get a dialog box entitled "List" and it shows:
(ObjectKind = 'Text') And (StringType = 'Designator')
In that dialog box, you'll see every designator on your PCB.
Press Ctrl-A to select everything in that list box.
One of the columns is called Text Height.
Edit the column by RIGHT CLICKING and choosing: Edit Selected
It will show reverse video for the one you happened to select, but when you
make your selection and press Enter, all the rows for that colume will
change.

That's it. Yes, it's a lot longer than the old way but it is way more
powerful. You can pre-sort  and select stuff here before doing a partial
global edit, etc. For example, you can more quickly select only the
capacitors that are only on the left side of the board by using selection
followed by non-selected removal.

Another way would be to go directly to the 'List' box and type in:
(StringType = 'Designator')

That would select all designators then you could have edited them.

> Gripe 2
>
> Selecting a bunch of tracks. The tracks are highlighted by either:
> - a fine line drawn on top of the traces :
> - a kind of lattice thrown on top of them , (depending on your
> zoom level),
>  instead of changing the color of the track.
> I am colorblind ! ( actually contrast blindness) it is very hard to see
> what is selected and what not. ( for certain layers that have close
> contrast levels to the white line. )

Don't square dots help you tell what's selected? The new way gives us the
ability to see selected object AND retain the layer info while they are
selected. I like it much better.

> Also when drawing a selection box, if the filter is still active ( see
> previous example ) the parts inside the box do not get selected.

Hmmm, not sure what you're trying to do exactly.

> Gripe 3
>
> when selecting a bunch of parts by drawing a selection window , the PCb
> viewer draws a colored recangle over each and every component this
> reduces the contrast even more and makes it completely bogu s for me to
> see anything

I can see with your requirements how this would be annoying.

> Gripe 4
>
> The selection is not 'sticky'
>
> you select a bunch of stuff , as soon as you click somewhere the
> selection gets undone. how do you
>
> 1) add more stuff to this selection

In Tools-Preferences uncheck "Click Clears Selection

> 2 ) move a part outside of the selection without deselecting . this was
> handy when doing parts placement . place a bunch of parts , select them
> , then do move selection , if one part in the area where you want to
> place the selection was a bit in the way you could simply move it out of
> the way and do the move selection command again without having to
> reselect what you wanted to move

Use the keys M-C (Move component) and click on the one component you want to
move that is not part of your carefully crafted selection.

The old way was faster (you didn't need to press any keys) This is one area
that DXP went backward in several people's opinion.

> Gripe 5
>
> Select all : sometimes no longer selects all , only layers ( no
> components)
> this seems to be related to this list again . something triggers this
> list to contain stuff without you specifying it. you have to open the
> list , Clear it and then the commands behave normally.
>
> This seems to affect a number of commands . Sometimes the click , hold
> and drag to move a track with rubberbanding doesn't behave
> correctly either
> Clarification : click is the proces of pushing mouse button and
> releaseing it without moving the mouce , hold drag is push the mouse
> button down without releaseing it and then start moving
>
> click is select something
> hold drag is move without rubberbanding
> click followed by hold and drag is move with rubberbanding of connected
> vertexes.

I'm still learning it too, so I don't have much to comment on about gripe 5.