It is a great aid AND I don't think it's the cause of the crappy panning
and redraw speed.

Try this: remove all floating menus from the workspace (in DXP) and then
pan...it still is worse than 99SE. I see great potential in DXP's
interface, but they need some serious optimizations for the GUI speed.

Tony