re lease/support -- the difference is that if you stop paying the lease, you
cannot legally continue using the software.  In fact, depending on the
contract, if the company goes out of business (or drops the product) you
might not be able to legally continue using it.  To take an extreme example,
they could raise the lease rate to 5000/year, and you must either pay it or
STOP using the software.  With a purchased product, you can always continue
using it, although it may be unsupported.

Depending on the customer's situation, the difference in the cost of the
software MIGHT be considered insignificant compared to training costs or
productivity gains/losses, or the risk of being forced to switch packages.

<snip>
> Regarding leases and support, I don't have a problem paying for a lease if
> think I getting something for my money. I've had two (possibly three)
updates
> in six months so I figure I'm getting support and quite frankyly what's
the
> difference between a lease and ATS? What happens if you don't pay for the
ATS?
> It isn't clear. Anyone considering spending  5000 on software (which is 20
> years of a  250 lease), should wonder what they'll be doing/using in 20
years
> time and how much maintenance they'll have paid in the interim to keep it
up to
> date.

* Tracking #: E4DF6FAF67ADB54197AFB8A0AE992D8104F74EDD