Mike, I believe I did understand. I'm very familiar with fabrication
methods/limitations and we do a substantial number of fine line
COB/wirebond designs so I also know the difficulties of high density
layout. Yet I just don't see any advantage to having a new rule or smart
via pad stack.

The reason is that on really tight layouts, the area made available by that
removing the annular ring on an unused via is still needed for the hole
wall of the plated via and the tolerance in hole position.

Yes, on designs that have generous annular rings on the vias, removing the
ring can make available some room (but not all of it). So a new rule might
be useful in that situation, but I find it just as easy or easier to reduce
the annular ring on some or all the vias as needed.

Is my logic flawed?

Mark Koitmaa
TechServ