Mr. Lomax wrote:
> But it does not make the gained space safe for routing, because we can
> assume that, if routing density is an issue, via pads have been already
> been reduced in size to the minimum annular ring necessary to avoid
> breakout, as Mr. Koitmaa notes. And thus it is possible for the hole wall
> outer edge to be at the same position as the pad would have been.

No no no   there is  huge misunderstanding here,   this has nothing to do
with flirting with either internal or external annular rings.
I can achieve this goal with annular  rings of  1000 mils and never see
break out on my  12 mil hole.  It would give me the other 988 mils back on
layers not connected  only.    My suggested feature  has nothing to do with
modifying the padstack.  the more I think about it      It is a DRC issue.

. One   might gain as much as a few mils of routing space.

You are correct but on many occasions   all I needed was a few mils.

Mike Reagan