Hi guys,
I've been doing some research on the kinds of things to improve the
autorouter (as per the desire to create my own).  I've come up with some
stuff that I'd like to bounce off ya's.

Using a path-finding algorithm which assigns weights to various directions
to travel (ie assuming that only 45deg angles are allowed, does anyone have
a reason this isn't valid??)  The default weighting would be to head towards
the target pin (closest of the set), however if a large obstacle (ie dense
gathering of wires) exists in the default path, then the algorithm would
start to look at ways around the blockage, ie either using a via in which
case you just perform the same operations on a different layer, or by going
around the blockage.  Weightings would be assigned to either of these (based
on a static disadvantage for a via), if the side-track distance exceeds the
disadvantage for the via however, then the via would be generated.

The algorithm would take a single step forward (ie a single node point) for
each connection pair, and then loop around and do the connection pairs
again.  I imagine that this would allow for better compromises to be made
however other opinions on this are welcome.

Just an update,
Thanks for your time,
Bevan Weiss