From: Rob Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 7:14 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEDA] Altium....Are you guys crazy!!!

Altium,  please explain the logic in no longer providing a quantity column
in BOM outputs or allowing more than one designator per line.  What could
have possibly possessed you guys to remove the quantity column in DXP's BOM
formats!  I am 99% convinced that a quantity option is not in DXP as I have
posted this to several forums and in direct emails to Altium with no reply
from them.  So I must now assume that there is no way to derive a quantity
of a particular component in DXP!  You can't possibly expect someone to
count line by line to find out how many 0.1uF caps are on a board with over
1500 components not to mention how many pages the BOM will span with one
designator per line.  While not perfect as Don has suggested, the "Protel
Format" in P99SE was workable.  With a few more tweaks on Altium's part, it
could have been a very good BOM output, but now you guys have removed it all
together!

Please consider putting the "Protel Format" BOM or something similar back
into DXP.  I personally can't seem to work with the current BOM outputs in
DXP with their unweildly number of pages.  I seriously would have thought
that more users would have complained about this, so perhaps I am just being
nitpicky, but it just seems like such a basic operation for a BOM output.

This is one of the few remaining hurdles left for me in using DXP for an
actual project.  I'm sure I could resort to using an Excel VB script such as
Don has suggested, but while not perfect, the Protel Format has always
suited my purposes just fine.

Rob