At 09:08 PM 11/4/2002 +0200, Christopher Rhomberg wrote:
I got my polygon fills in finally thanks to you.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Sherer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Protel gets confused if you create a polygon which lies within
> or overlaps another polygon (with a different net name) on the same layer.
> See Protel's Help topics. A Split Plane must be used in this case.
I'm glad that Mr Rohmberg got his fills filled, but I don't think it was from Mr. Sherer's advice, which is, unfortunately, incorrect, I just verified it.

"Split Planes" are creatures for negative layers (usually power planes), but Mr. Rhomberg was trying to fill a polygon on a positive layer.

Polygon fills can overlap. However, if they overlap, sequence of filling becomes important. Essentially, the innermost plane should be filled first, then the outermost. If you have an outermost plane first and want to place a plane contained within it, you can move the first plane to another layer while you place and fill the innermost plane, then move the outer one back and fill it.

If the planes intersect but neither contains the other, then I can give no general advice as to which to pour first.... But with polygon pours, it might be better to split them so that pour is explicit. polygon pours with the same net can overlap without any ambiguity. This is one way that polygon pours are more flexible than inner planes. I think DXP fixes the inner plane limitation.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES
PCB design, consulting, and training
Protel EDA license resales