At 11:41 AM 11/9/2002, Fred A Rupinski wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> will be the place to be, soon, if not now.

Again, can you share with us the specific reasons for your confidence?
Primarily, history. There was quite a bit of resistance to Protel 99. Eventually, few of us who could afford to upgrade stayed with earlier versions, holdouts became fewer and fewer. I'm sure there are still many, but they are generally isolated from the user community, perhaps they don't know what they are missing.

Further, the level of communication now taking place between users and Altium is little short of astonishing. Unless we believe that this communication will merely distract Altium from improving DXP, it is practically a foregone conclusion that it will become more and more acceptable until it is next to indispensable. I've used DXP *very* little because of the press of other affairs, so I am only writing as one who is a kibitzer on the DXP list. I'm not currently tempted to use DXP for real work: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But next time I see an MCM with more than thirty or so layers, I will be *forced* to use DXP. From what I read, it is currently quite usable, though the learning curve is steeper than I would like.

Having said this, I suspect that Altium shot itself in the foot with the DXP release. Sending what should really be a prerelease product (public Beta, perhaps) to a new user trying to make a CAD purchase decision may be dangerous. I think that Altium should have (and still should) sweeten P99SE, with DXP presented as an upgrade path at modest cost. When DXP is fully mature, then perhaps P99SE could be phased out, having been, in the meantime, made even more stable. But I have no privileged access to Altium sales figures: the proof is in the pudding!