At 02:18 PM 11/10/2002, I wrote:
...next time I see an MCM with more than thirty or so layers, I will be *forced* to use DXP.
Somehow I had gotten it in my mind that DXP increases the number of signal layers. It does not; rather it -- reportedly -- correctly displays and supports blind and buried vias. DXP, like P99SE, is limited to 32 signal layers, 16 plane layers, and 16 mechanical layers. The MCM design rules on a project I took on about a year ago allowed 50 layers, and we did not necessarily want any of them to be plane layers. I was able to keep the layer count to 21, however. But the incorrect blind/buried via display issue in P99SE -- previously reported -- did make it frustrating to try to visualize what was going on.

fixing the number of layers is like assigning two digits to the year number, or limiting the physical memory that an OS will support.... it may have had some short-term advantage, but ultimately it will be regretted.