Another data point:

When I just create a netlist, there are duplicate nets with the same name
formed - the solution here is obviously to generate only one net with that
name, and append the new nodes to the existing net. Is there an easy way of
doing this, since I'll have to do it numerous times as I get the pinout
right?

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken
Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069
ph:  (07) 3327 4685     fax:  (07) 3327 4455