I always assumed It had to be checked for multi sheet hierarchical designs,
so that the synchroniser would count all the sheets as one big netlist, and
you know what they say about assumptions (they're the mother of all
f@*kups). I was wrong.

What it really does is outlined on p132 of the Designers Handbook, "Model 5
- Using Sheet Parts to Create Hierarchy"

Imagine you have a two pin daughter PCB you can place in a circuit, or
alternatively you can install the components present on the daughter PCB
directly onto the main PCB.

Use a *component* to specify a sheet path to the daughter circuit, and when
synchronising:

1) if you want to use the whole circuit on one PCB check the "Descend into
sheet parts" box and all the component footprints present in the daughter
PCB (component referenced sheet) will be used.

or

2) if you want to use the daughter PCB module, uncheck the "Descend into
sheet parts" box and a two pin footprint (for the daughter module) will be
used instead.

Clear as mud?