At 12:29 PM 24/02/03 +1100, you wrote:
Ian,

let me try:

Rule Name       Scope                             Min        Max
All holes       Board                             28mil      280mil
Drill 42mil     Power Tracks (Net class)    42mil      42mil
Drill 35mil     Signal Tracks (Net class)   35mil      35mil
Drill 28mil     Special Tracks (Region)     28mil       28mil

It is true that P99SE is limited in what you can do when defining a rule. Otherwise it would not be necessary to introduce a scripting language in the new version of Protel.

The above looks good when all nets in a net class have *all* holes the same size but doesn't allow different hole sizes within a net class - not an uncommon situation - take power nets that have much thinner pullup/pulldown tracks. In dense designs the designer may not have the luxury of allowing all connections to the power class nets to use the larger hole size.

The above rules could not meet my challenge of "How would you check, reliably, that for a given net, say VCC, that holes were either 28 or 35 mils and nothing else."

As you say Igor, I think this is one area where P99SE simply runs out of steam. I don't think P99SE can do a reliable check in the general case. It can in the restricted case, as you show. Hopefully Alexandre can work within the limited situation of one net-one hole size.

(DXP does have a more powerful query language, it does not require scripting to achieve the required general case rule.)

Regards,
Ian