Steve,

I hope that the long thread of responses in the DXP forum helped you get
your problem resolved with your system.

Reading the posts gave me pause to think about a few things regarding my own
computer systems, and I thought that I would share some of those thoughts
here in the forums, which are not necessarily related to your problem or
post, but related to the many problems and crashes that I myself have had in
the past, and the many other similar problems and responses posted here in
the forums by both I myself and others who have had problems with our
systems and different combinations of software installed on them.

The following are my conclusions that apply to me and what I need to keep in
mind in keeping my own house in order. I thought that I would share them
here in the various Protel forums simply to supply some food for thought for
others who may be in situations similar to myself.

Protel 99 SE had a List Price of $8,000.00.

Protel DXP currently has a List Price of $8,000.00.

Irrespective of whatever special package deals or upgrade offers anyone may
have gotten, or which version of the software anyone may be using, the fact
remains that Protel is an $8,000.00 software package.

That very expensive software package was purchased for the purpose of making
money, by way of making Printed Circuit Boards (or programming ASICs).

Whether by direct consulting, or performing a job for an employer, the
Protel software package is basically used as a source of income. Some of
this income is secondary income, but most of it is primary income.

The bottom line, plain and simple, is that Protel is an $8,000.00 software
package that I rely on for my livelihood.

The reliability of the Protel software package, and the related libraries
(both those supplied with Protel and especially those that I have developed
myself), and related databases, especially of schematics or PCB designs
(whether past (completed projects or Boards), current (in process), or
future (those that I have yet to do)), and related files, when all
considered as a whole, especially when considered in terms of capabilities
and requirements in terms of performing the task of earning that income,
whether primary or secondary, represent far far more that a mere $8,000.00
investment in piece of software on a CD ROM and the License that comes with
it.

This is especially true when one considers the amount of actual time one
either has invested in their own Protel "Machine / Toolbox", or the amount
of time that they stand to loose should anything happen to that "Machine /
Toolbox" which would require its replacement or its repair. By "Machine /
Toolbox", I mean not only the software itself, but also all of the other
things that have gone into having the ability to use Protel to "produce" the
end product of "income".

One of the smaller components of that Protel "Machine / Toolbox", is of
course a computer system, which is needed in order to be able to use the
Protel software package itself.

Even the very best of computer systems available today, including the
hardware, the operating system, and the monitor, will still come out to less
than half of the original cost of the Protel software itself, in terms of
price, at about $4,000.00. In reality, most people can put together an
excellent system on which to run Protel for much less at around one eighth
the of cost, or $1,000.00.

Computers systems to do other tasks, whatever they may be, such as email,
browsing the internet, playing games, burning a CD or listening to one, or
even programming, can all be done on last years machine, with yesterdays
operating system and yesterdays technology, on a separate machine which
ranges in cost or value from $500.00 on down to nothing.

The whole point is this.

Why take a computer system which may range in price from $1,000.00 to
$4,000.00, including an operating system, and then install an $8,000.00
software package, and then invest much much more in dollar value in terms of
time and energy, to build a Protel "Machine / Toolbox", on which ones
livelihood depends, and which is ultimately used to generate income, and
then install other "software" or "things" which are not relevant to that
livelyhood or income producing capability, which can ultimately damage,
incapacitate, or even possibly destroy that Protel "Machine / Toolbox", and
cause you to have to repair or replace it, and possibly even loose part of
it (oops!, there goes the hard drive with the file that was just about ready
to get backed up!).

Hubs, Switches, Routers, Network Adapter Cards, Cat5 Cables, and even whole
Computers, are cheap. Really cheap. Especially by comparison. Computers and
components are getting so cheap today, that for all practical purposes, many
computers and their components can be almost considered as "throwaway
computers".

Why on earth should one invest more than $10,000.00 in real hard currency
(on average), and much much more in real time and real energy, on building a
Protel "Machine / Toolbox", the prime purpose of which is to use to make
money, and then jeopardize the usefulness and security of that Protel
"Machine / Toolbox" investment, by installing things on that computer system
which really can be done by and belong on a "throwaway computer".

How much money did I make last year using my Protel "Machine / Toolbox"?

How much money do I hope to make this year using my Protel "Machine /
Toolbox"?

How much money do I stand to loose if I don't take proper care of my Protel
"Machine / Toolbox", and respect it as the "tool" that it really is?

The overall answer is simple. A Protel "Machine / Toolbox" is a very
expensive "tool" to be used for making money. Anything not directly
necessary to using that Protel "Machine / Toolbox" as a "tool" for that
purpose, doesn't even belong on the same computer system.

Use a separate "throwaway computer" for email, and internet browsing, and
burning CDs, and making backups, and programming, and playing games, etc.,
etc., etc., and that way there won't be any problems on the Protel "Machine
/ Toolbox" computer system except for those problems with the Protel
software itself.

JaMi

(separately posted to PEDA and DXP Forums)