Not to throw cold water on your or your son's PCB ambitions, but might it be
cheaper and less trouble to have the boards made by one of the low cost
proto houses that exist now?  You can get proto boards done for less than
$100.  By the time you set up an exposure lamp, buy the chemicals, film, pcb
blanks, figure out how to dispose of the used etchant, and drill the holes,
you could be over the $100 and "lots of work" mark.

Of course, if the idea is to explore the actual process of pcb
manufacturing, equipment, materials and supplies procurement, and how to
comply with all the environmental regulations of toxic waste disposal, then
using a pcb fab house would be missing the point...

I think it's great that your son has the curiosity about it though.  I
learned much about working with hand and power tools and auto repair from
watching and helping my father when I was a kid.  Although I ended up
choosing a different branch of engineering than my father (I am electrical,
my father is mechanical and nuclear), I attribute my interest in analysis,
problem solving, and handyman's skills to the role model that is my father.
Even though it's the day after Father's Day, I am still saying "Thanks,
Dad!".

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.