Your peripheral is supposed to be a "DCE" (Data Communications Equipment), a
DB9F wired as:

1 DCD
2 TX
3 RX
4 DSR
5 GND
6 DTR
7 CTS
8 RTS
9 RI

The above DCE mates with the PC connector, which is supposed to be a "DTE"
(Data Terminal Equipment), a DB9M wired as:

1 DCD
2 RX
3 TX
4 DTR
5 GND
6 DSR
7 RTS
8 CTS
9 RI

It's not really a DB9 connector, it's proper name is something else (I can't
recall what).  So what?  So many people use the DB9 designation (I do) that
it's been redefined by popular usage.  I say "DB9M" for a DB9 male, and
"DB9F" for a female connector.

You see how the signals match up?  Each side's RX goes to the other's TX,
each side's RTS goes to the other's CTS, each side's DTR goes to the other's
DSR.  DCD and RI are "non-peer" signals, they are outputs on the DCE to the
inputs on the DTE.

There is no standard for grounding of the connector shell.  It's up to you
what you want to do with it.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.