On 05:03 PM 3/09/2003, Hamid A. Wasti said:
I am current using 99SE and have been sitting on the DXP "upgrade" for a few months. Being a Protel user for almost 10 years, I know better than to use any Protel product right after its release. But being 1 year and 2 service packs into it, is DXP mostly stable and at least marginally useable now, or is further delay advised? Seeing a large number of people on this forum still using 99SE is not encouraging.

A few specific questions:

0) Is DXP stable now or are crashes hourly occurrences like with most of Protel's initial releases?

1) For schematic entry, are there any new features that make the move worthwhile?

2) For manual routing, are they any new features that make the move worthwhile?

3) How bad is the learning curve?

Thanks for your time and input.

Regards,

Hamid Wasti

OK I have done it - I have taken an old summary post of my view of DXP v P99SE and put it on a www page - very crudely formatted and the direct link is the only way to get there.

http://www.considered.com.au/DXP_vs_P99SE.htm

Maybe one day I will bring it up to date and give it a pretty format (well as pretty as a engineer can). there is little new there for people that saw my original post(s) on this ages ago. Theer are also some comments from Tony Karavidas - hope he doesn't mind being quoted.

Don't send me direct mail about this. The PEDA and DXP forums are the *only* place I will discuss what is just my opinion. I am interested in the discourse but only if it is based on fact and not wild speculation and ranting.

Bye for now,
Ian