On 12:43 PM 4/09/2003, JaMi Smith said:
There are basically two different ways that a current sense resistor is
normally used. The first is between a voltage source and a "load", and the
second is between the "load" and ground. In both cases, the voltage drop is
measured across the current sense resistor between the supply leg and the
"load".

I think, Jami, that you are missing a critical aspect or it is getting buried in too much verbage. Sorry if I have just missed it, I am afraid I am doing you something of a disservice by not reading your post(s) in full.

It is common to have four connections to a current sense resistor, two on each side. One on each side will be big and fat to carry the current, and the other with be a signal trace (carrying no current) that ensures the voltage drop across just the resistor is sensed - the voltage drop across power tracks, ground planes etc are ignored. The only tricky stuff with this is that it requires common-mode input ranges beyond, or at least close to, the supplies in many situations - but this is no longer rocket science.

Ian