At 03:18 PM 10/17/2003 -0700, JaMi Smith wrote: (Referring to Mr Lomax)

>What the hell are you talking about?
>
>Aren't you the guy that has said that it is legitimate for an employee
>to take his employers Protel 99 SE CD ROM home and install it on his own
>personal machine (or make a copy for himself), and then do whatever he
>wants to with Protel 99 SE at home?
>
>That is of known illegality, and absolutely unquestionably unethical.

I just want to point out Jami, that Protel has told me more than once that it is FINE
with them to install Protel on more than one machine as long as only one copy is in
use at a time.  This includes taking a company copy home to install on your home
computer and use at night, as long as the licence is only in use at one place at a
time.  I don't believe that their policy on this has changed.  I can't imagine how
this could be unethical.

Another company, AWR's Microwave Office also supports this.  In fact, since their
software is locked to the MAC address of your NIC, they will actually issue you a free
second "home licence" as they call it for your non-concurrent use on your home
computer at night and weekends.

-Frank

Frank Gilley
Dell-Star Technologies