At 14/11/2003 11:42, Juha Pajunen wrote:
Hi Group!

I just printed gerbers from Protel99SE and looked then with
CamTastic. Pictures in Silk-Pad_Pictures.zip at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/protel-users/files/junk/
tells you what I saw.

How should I set my settings in Cam Manager (in Protel99SE)
to get correct shapes of SMD pads and SILK circles?

Sincerely,
Bitboys Oy
Juha Pajunen, Hw Engineer

Well Juha, to be frank: you can't. At least not for the pads.

Although Protel offers the octagonal pad shape it cannot produce it in Gerber.....
For my first projects I too wanted octagonal pads (used them all the time in DOS-based Tango) but the only way I found to actually produce Gerbers with them is rather laborious:
1) load the Protel Gerbers (all of them) into CamTastic
2) edit the pads into octagonal ones
3) save the result and send that to the fabhouse.

A whole lot of work with plenty of room for error, all for IMO a mostly cosmetic improvement....
Since then I completely abandoned the octagons and stick to rectangles and ovals.

Even the hexagon-shaped circle on the silkscreen might be caused by the use of octagon pads, I have seen stranger things happen in Protel. But then again, I'm just guessing on this one.

To quote an unknown philosopher: "The truth will set you free. But first, it's going to piss you off."

Take care,

Leo Potjewijd
hardware designer
IE Keyprocessor bv.